F2 Navigation   |  Options  |  Login  |  Register  |  Status  |  FAQ  |  Upload Pics  |  Work-Safe

Notice:

This is a read-only archive of the old board. The new forum is located here.

Back to Index | Reply to Topic

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6  | Previous  Next | First  Last

SURVIVAL TARDS: Serious question for those preparing for social chaos.
Unregistered

What is the best way to secure a 1-year supply of food? Or even 6 months?

What would be your choices, based on these 3 criteria:

1.) Nutrition -- must give you protein & calories to get thru the day
2.) Shelf life -- Must last for the entire year.
3.) Light weight / compact -- in case you need to bug out on a moment's notice

TIA.
Unregistered

MRE
Unregistered

Get several armed friends and take the supplies from people without several armed friends.
Unregistered

MREs are not good for long term survival. They will rip your ass up, along the lines of causing fissures and such.

Google: ready reserve foods.
Unregistered

Here are some good things to have:

-- Tuna in individually wrapped foil packets -- no cooking, no spoilage.
-- Powdered protein / vitamin / energy drinks.
-- Bullion for salt, drinking, and a feeling that you have consumed something
-- Dehydrated fruit for carbs
-- Beef jerky for making soups.

Learn to fish or hunt.
Unregistered

Spam and twinkies.
subvet
Registered

718 posts

. said:Get several armed friends and take the supplies from people without several armed friends.

This.

During the Katrina riots, those who were prepared were looted by those who weren't. Mind you, this was only a few days after the catestrophe...not week or months.

Once law and order break down and people start going hungry, anything goes.

Either you live in a community of like minded people (ie. :mullet: or :police:) or you bug out.
Unregistered

I'm thinking of just filling the shelving in the basement with regular food. Then take from one end and put new stuff on the other end. I'd have a couple of month's worth of food and nothing would get very old.
Unregistered

Here's some good advice:

If you really think that the shit is going to hit the fan, start preparing NOW by fasting 1 or 2 days a week. Just drink a couple of liquids, and maybe consume 200 calories in powdered protein or veggies.

This will make you stronger and more level headed than most people. And, if the shit doesn't hit the fan, you will be less of a fatass.
Unregistered

One assualt rifle, one thousand rounds of ammo, one years supply of food. You'll thank me later.
Unregistered

Bury a stash or two in the woods, or on farmland if you have land.

If you have food, you will be robbed. Have a stash of food buried. Also have a firearm or two buried. Simply get a paint bucket, fill it with gun oil, and then drop in your gun, along with a few sealed boxes of ammo.
Unregistered

Storing food in your basement is only good if you have a way of cooking it that doesn't attract attention.

If people think you have a hoard, they are going to try and come and take it from you.

subvet
Registered

718 posts

If the world gets in a state where one year's worth of food or a 1000 rounds of ammo becomes a necessity, you're fuckered already. Think Somolia x 10. Civilization would have broken down entirely and no amount of any preparation is going to provide anything above a substenance level...assuming no group of roaming looters pillaged your stash and hung you from the rafters, guns or not. If a group of people are starving, one armed person isn't going to seperate a mob of savages from your basement.

Planning for lesser contingencies is prudent, however Some realistic ones are planning for another job, how to deal financially with a sudden death or illness, or making sure your nest egg is safe. Hurricanes, tornados, and other natural disasters come next. Everything else should be near the bottom of the list.
Unregistered

http://mountainhousecan.com/

:wave:
Unregistered

subvet said:If the world gets in a state where one year's worth of food or a 1000 rounds of ammo becomes a necessity, you're fuckered already. Think Somolia x 10. Civilization would have broken down entirely and no amount of any preparation is going to provide anything above a substenance level...assuming no group of roaming looters pillaged your stash and hung you from the rafters, guns or not. If a group of people are starving, one armed person isn't going to seperate a mob of savages from your basement.

Planning for lesser contingencies is prudent, however Some realistic ones are planning for another job, how to deal financially with a sudden death or illness, or making sure your nest egg is safe. Hurricanes, tornados, and other natural disasters come next. Everything else should be near the bottom of the list.

You will be the first to die.
Unregistered

. said:One assualt rifle, one thousand rounds of ammo, one years supply of food. You'll thank me later.

I have over 40 weapons, close to 500k rounds and spare parts, 5 years of food. All my friends and neighbors are all survivalists, we practice group defense etc. You are a victim dude.
Unregistered

. said:I have over 40 weapons, close to 500k rounds and spare parts, 5 years of food. All my friends and neighbors are all survivalists, we practice group defense etc. You are a victim dude.

You will be the second.
Unregistered

. said:
. said:I have over 40 weapons, close to 500k rounds and spare parts, 5 years of food. All my friends and neighbors are all survivalists, we practice group defense etc. You are a victim dude.

You will be the second.

This I doubt. If it got bad, several members of our group can access military grade shit at the local depot. Nothing better than an Army arms place nearby.
Unregistered

You guys need to stop listening to the doomsayers who preach this shit. They are just trying to sell their sponsor's wares.
Unregistered

I'm still choking down the MREs, etc. I bought for Y2K. And now I have to buy more?
Unregistered

subvet said:If the world gets in a state where one year's worth of food or a 1000 rounds of ammo becomes a necessity, you're fuckered already. Think Somolia x 10. Civilization would have broken down entirely and no amount of any preparation is going to provide anything above a substenance level...assuming no group of roaming looters pillaged your stash and hung you from the rafters, guns or not. If a group of people are starving, one armed person isn't going to seperate a mob of savages from your basement.

Exactly. If you ever need more than 2 weeks worth of food and provisions - life as you know it is over, and you probably don't stand a good chance of survival no matter what your militia friends tell you.
Unregistered

. said:Exactly. If you ever need more than 2 weeks worth of food and provisions - life as you know it is over, and you probably don't stand a good chance of survival no matter what your militia friends tell you.

You had better get your mouth in shape.
prophet amadeus
Registered

35 posts

Learn the proper ways of survival. MRE's are good if you plan to be on the move. However, if your plan is to protect your territory, there are many other things that are of equal, if not better survival value.

Flower, honey, and powdered milk keep a very long time.
You will need fresh water - and a well is the best way to produce it.
Staying in the city or suburbs is suicide.
You can't expect people to respect private property in a world where the law no longer holds sway.
Shooting at everything that moves is unwise. Look to medeival times when there were merchants who went from place to place - eventually they will reappear. Killing someone who may have fresh food, water, and ammo, is a bad plan.
Most importantly, remember that you need a plan to get to your retreat. Most highways are going to be jammed with people who tried to flee, and either ran out of gas or became victims themselves.
Are you physically fit? Because a day spent splitting logs IS going to put a strain on your heart.
Do you need specialized medication? If so, you're in grave danger, unless it is something that there is a natural alternative for - a natural alternative that is readily available in your area.
Don't just sit back and think you can turn your cubicle dwelling rear end into a survival machine overnight - even if you have 1,000 matches, learn how to start a fire in the traditional manner. Take time on the weekends, and learn the basic skills.
And remember, if you don't fish, and you don't hunt, you starve. Perhaps there is a chance you'll be able to start some sort of agriculture, but, its extremely unlikely you will have time to do that.
subvet
Registered

718 posts

prophet amadeus said:And remember, if you don't fish, and you don't hunt, you starve. Perhaps there is a chance you'll be able to start some sort of agriculture, but, its extremely unlikely you will have time to do that.

And what happens when your entire town hunts the same forests? Fishes the same streams?

Society has long since exceeded the carrying capacity of local ecosystems. There's simply not enough foraging sources left to feed but a fraction of any given population.
Unregistered

Six months? Just buy some canned goods and make sure you rotate through them.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6  | Previous  Next | First  Last

Back to Index | Reply to Topic

Quick Reply
Moniker: